Filipino guy in Los Angeles, talking about his daily blah, reality tv, world events... a little bit of everything

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Pinoy Big Brother Big Revelation; Rustom is a friend of Dorothy's!

(note; click on highlighted text for more info)
I was shocked to find out today that Rustom finally came out of the closet. I'm not shocked because he is gay (that I already know) I'm just amazed by how he revealed it; on national TV! Before I go on, for my non-Filipino friends and readers, Pinoy Big Brother is a spin-off from the original Big Brother. It has the same premise as other Big Brothers except this one is pretty cheesy, less about competition, strategies and back stabbing...more of "lets be a family" theme to it. With that said i'll go back to my topic.



I met Rustom (aka. Russ when he was at UCLA) when he was taking film classes at UCLA extensions for fall 2003. We met in one of the Mahu meetings (a group for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer, and allies for the Asian Pacific community at UCLA). I didnt recognize him at first but I knew Ive seen him somewhere (was he someone I hooked up with during one of my drunken college days hehe just kidding) . I could sense that he was very nervous being there. We started the meeting with introductions...he said that his name is Russ and he is taking extension classes offered by the film school, and that he was/is an actor from the Philippines...when he said that I started to piece things together that Russ is just a shortened version of his name...his alias.

The following weeks, we got to know each other. He wanted to know about my coming out experience (both to my family and friends). I told him that it was very difficult but as soon as I told my loved ones who I really was, I felt such an emotional relief... no more secrets. We talked about his past without really discussing his real identity. At that point I'm not sure if he knew that I knew who he was...but I kept reminding him that his secret is safe (I'm only talking about this now because he already came out). We talked occasionaly, after the meetings, went out to lunch, and whenever we see each other on campus. He told me that he was starting a business, something about beauty products. He also told me that he was going to go back to the Philippines because he wants to make a movie there. The last time I saw him was Halloween of 2004. He called me to find out if he can hang out with me and my friends for Halloween. We all dressed up (me being a lame goth, my friends dressed up as a deranged mental hosptial patient, Batman and Russ was Count Dracula) see picture.


It sucks that I dont have a way to see this show here in L.A. I only found out about this through the Pinoy Big Brother website. To Russ/Rustom, congratulations for coming out. It takes a lot of cajones and bravery to do this. Although Filipinos are generally tolerant, they might not be very accepting of our sexuality. But remember that your visibility breaks the stereotype of the Filipino "bakla", and at the same time could serve as an inspiration for others gay and lesbians who are still closeted to finally take the big leap and be true to who they are. As cliche as it may sound.... Truth will set you free!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi ernesto,

thanks for using my post about rustom in your blog post. i appreciate it.

keep up the good work!

best regards,

ram felix rengel, jr.
access pinoy

9:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home